Nat
Are you two related?
Are you sisters?
Are you two twins?
Do you feel each others pain?
Can you read each others minds?
Have you ever switched boyfriends/classes?
How far apart are you?
Who is the oldest?
Do you like being a twin?

You name it, we’ve heard it. I guess after 36 years, you are bound to hear every twin question and comment out there, but for some reason it always still surprises me. It usually starts off with a glance between the two of us. The eyes will dart to her, then to me, then back to her. Then you get the look of confusion on their face and you know it’s coming. You try to prepare and generally it’s the simple “are you two twins”, to which the standard response is a swift “yes”, in unison, and then quickly changing the subject. But there are a few who don’t want to leave it at that and then Jen and I become their dog and pony show and the 100 questions begin. It’s really bad if it is a waitress or someone on a plane/train/bus, because there is no escape. You must just politely nod and answer their questions. Sometimes, if we are in a playful mood, we will answer questions with some crazy answers. The best one is “Can you read each others minds”. We love to mess with people on this one. We just look at each other and stare the other one down. This really confuses them and usually will end all the questions there. The question that always gets us though is the “do you like being a twin?” How are you supposed to answer that? Usually Jen will fire back “how do you like being a single?” We know no other way.

I guess the best thing I have heard in relation to being a twin, was we were at a checkout, the girl behind the counter did the eye dart thing, and then the question came, “are you all twins”, we said “yes”. Then, the kicker comes out of her mouth…”I’ve never seen ‘old’ twins before”. Jen and I just looked at each other in confusion. That was a new one.


I told Jen I would post more here, so I will do my best. The one thing that differentiates her and I is that I am married and have two kids, so time can be of an issue for me. I will make an effort to post my random thoughts, not just on life as a twin, but any randomness I can document.
0 Responses

Post a Comment